Thursday, March 21, 2013

Breast MRI - newbie

Didn't know what to expect but knew I had to do it.  It really wasn't all that terrible and over before I knew it.  I tried to put it in perspective.  Compared to two lumpectomies, radiation and all that jazz 10 years ago and what some of my very close friends are experiencing health wise, it was a 30 minute inconvenience.  The IV bothered me a little and I was claustrophobic only once. 

I had to lay face down and my breasts were centered in cups like a mock bra.  There was a head rest with a plastic filter where I could look down and see what the two male operators were doing at all times.  Len talked me through the whole procedure - two minute scan; one minute quiet, etc.  Galloping horses, first spring birds shouting first thing in the morning, strong ocean waves, an extremely loud, annoying antique clock out of sync, steel boat meets steel pier and other sounds guided me through.  The thought of repeating the whole thing kept me motivated, along with the support of my two comrades who have gone through the same journey. If you are facing your first one, you'll be fine.  It's just another modern miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment